Invisalign treatment offers many advantages over straightening teeth with metal braces. But it’s important to follow best practices for wearing the clear aligners, so you’ll achieve the best results. Fortunately, it’s not too hard!
Check out our dos and don’ts for Invisalign below. If you haven’t yet gotten Invisalign and are wondering if you’re a good candidate, contact Lennon Dental Center today to schedule a consultation. Call 804-455-8263 for Deltaville, VA or 804-607-9348 for our Mathews location.
If you have Invisalign aligners:
- Do Follow Your Treatment Plan – Your orthodontic treatment begins with a plan your dentist creates after taking X-rays and dental impressions and using special software. Your aligners are created using this information. So it’s important that you follow the plan. Don’t be tempted to rush it by switching out old ones for new ones too soon, for example.
- Don’t Drink Anything Other Than Water When Wearing – Lots of liquids can stain your aligners, including soda, coffee, and tea. To avoid staining, don’t drink anything but water when wearing them. Hot liquids are an especially big risk. The heat can warp them and affect your treatment.
- Do Store Your Aligners in a Case – One thing we know about orthodontic aligners: It’s easy to misplace them. We suggest carrying a case with you at all times. That way you can slip them into the case before a meal or any other time you take them out.
- Don’t Immediately Discard Used Aligners – It’s a good idea to keep your used aligners for at least a while after switching to your new set. That way, if you do lose any aligners, you can keep your treatment on track by wearing the previous ones in the series until you get your replacements.
- Do Be Careful How You Clean Them – Stick to non-abrasive toothpaste or (preferably) a mild soap when brushing your aligners. Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush. (That’s a best practice for everyone, not just those with Invisalign!) With hard bristles and/or abrasive toothpaste, you risk scratching them up.
- Don’t Switch to New Ones in the Morning – We get it. It’s tempting to start out your day by switching to the next set of aligners in your series. However, we recommend doing it at bedtime instead. That way, you’re less likely to be bothered by the sensation of pressure that is often present for a short time with new aligners.